Why Interns Don't Get Paid

Simply put, it's a way for companies to get free labor out of people who want practical experience and ultimately a job. Nowadays, I have about 20 internship applications float onto my desk each month at TCF. That's a lot of people who don't have jobs and are willing to work for free. And working for the legendary Ethan Daniels is quite a prize. And getting to work for me for free doesn't bother any of my interns. Well, actually at the Ceiling Fan I've only ever had one intern (his name is James), and I've never had a problem. That is, if you don't count the time he climbed into the vent in my office. Other than that, my coffee gets prepared right and the floors stay clean. And that's what an internship is all about. Practical experience.

And our budget is low, so a free intern suits us just fine.

4 comments:

Original Joe said...

How does James feel about not being paid? I mean, come on, he makes your coffee right.

Ethan Daniels said...

James sees this as an opportunity to broaden his horizons and reach his potential in life. He signed the paper ecstatically and with full enthusiasm. Wouldn't it make sense that anyone who interns for the Ceiling Fan goes in with excitement? Sure, the paycheck isn't there, but the work environment is top-notch. Besides, who wouldn't want to deliver coffee to Ethan Daniels?

James_intern said...

Although I am wondering when this internship is going to end! I mean I thought when I started out that I was going to be there for a few weeks . . but wow! I've been here for months! Don't get me wrong, I love the work! (most of the time)

Original Joe said...

Well, you know, you're homeschooled and taking college classes so you got to do what you've got to do.

Post a Comment